One of 12 traditional Maya villages on the shores of Lake Atitlán, it is mostly recognised as a mecca for spirituality in the Americas. In the past 20 years, a small and growing community of Guatemalans and Internationals have settled here focusing on offering services, experiences and products relating to well-being, spirituality and journeying with heart connection.
Curious? You may well experience some of the gifts that are to be had during your retreat/workshop. you can catch daily class offerings of different kinds (yoga, meditation, tai-chi, pranayama, etc) at one of the following spaces: La Paz, Las Piramides, Yoga Forest, Hostal Del Lago. We even have a Tai-Chi temple in San Marcos, which you can enquire about attending if you commit to attending twice daily for at least one month.
Restaurants and cafés to check out:
- Il giardino restaurant (great eggs fiorentine)
- Circles Cafe (one of the best expresso coffees in town)
- Paco Real Restaurant (Great Wood Oven Pizzas)
- Fe restaurant (curries, salads, love their fishcakes!)
- Moonfish restaurant (great falafel, brownies, chai tea)
- Shambala (love their sweet chai tea and their Tibetan Butter tea)
- Lush Kitchen – designer chef Paul will fix you up with deliciously tasting and fantastically presented food – do not miss!
- La Paz (love their Vegetarian evening menu)
- Hostal del Lago (great brownies, large selection of beers, good bar menu). Many happenings here most days of the week. Swim from lake front.
- Tul y Sol (ask Guy the owner for the steak or the seafood – best in town!)
- El Dragon restaurant (best key lime pie!) – good for lake front zen time.
- Ah la la – Japanese food. Quite inexpensive and beautifully qwerky place!
- Medicine Foods Café – a beautiful little cafe with nutritiously studied and healing foods. Very high quality experience.
- Posasa Schuman (LakeFront cocktails & People Watching)
- Street food stalls – most are safe to eat. If in doubt stick to steamed, boiled or fried choices. Try the tostadas, atol (like a porridge hot drink, with either rice, oats, wheat…..ask what the flavour of the day is!)
Visit-SanMarcos.com – A great resource about San Marcos La Laguna, featuring articles, events & happenings around town and Lake Atitlán (like the latest massage course, ecstatic dance event, cacao ceremony, live music party, conscious gatherings, acroyoga jams, traditional cooking classes, local Spanish Schools)
Where to attend daily yoga classes? –